Author Topic: Where to install bc.exe 32 bit and 64 bit?  (Read 51 times)

djsb

• View Profile
Where to install bc.exe 32 bit and 64 bit?
« on: September 11, 2022, 05:54:22 AM »
Hi,
I have one directory where I have installed BCX

C:\Program Files (x86)\BCX\Bin

However, when I download an updated version of BCX there is a 32 bit and a 64 bit version of BC.exe

What is the recommended way of installing the two different versions? I have a 64 bit version of Windows 10. I'm also getting a bit confused when deciding if to use a batch file that compiles a 32 bit or 64 bit application. I'm using Pelles ISO C Compiler, Version 11.00.3
I hope my confusion can be cleared up. Thanks.

MrBcx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Where to install bc.exe 32 bit and 64 bit?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 08:09:47 AM »
Hi,
I have one directory where I have installed BCX

C:\Program Files (x86)\BCX\Bin

However, when I download an updated version of BCX there is a 32 bit and a 64 bit version of BC.exe

What is the recommended way of installing the two different versions? I have a 64 bit version of Windows 10. I'm also getting a bit confused when deciding if to use a batch file that compiles a 32 bit or 64 bit application. I'm using Pelles ISO C Compiler, Version 11.00.3
I hope my confusion can be cleared up. Thanks.

You only need one copy of Bc.exe per computer. 

If you have a 64-bit version of Windows, you can use either the 32-bit or the 64-bit Bc.exe

If you have a 32-bit version of Windows, only the 32-bit version of Bc.exe will run on it.

Installing updates:

Unzip the latest update to a temporary folder, move or copy a new version of Bc.exe to C:\Program Files (x86)\BCX\Bin.
Windows should ask you if you want to overwrite Bc.exe ... answer: yes.

The 32-bit and 64-bit versions of BCX generate exactly the same output.

The 64-bit version of Bc.exe will run a little faster but you likely won't notice the difference.   

A batch file can run instructions, call other batch files, and operate 32-bit .exe's and 64-bit .exe's all inside the same batch file
You need to decide whether you want to produce a 32-bit or a 64-bit executable using Pelles C.

Pelles v11 only runs on 64-bit Windows but it can generate 32-bit and 64-bit binaries.  It doesn't
matter if the source code that you feed to Pelles came from a 32-bit version of BCX or a 64-bit version.

I hope that clears things up.  If you have more questions, just ask.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 01:34:27 PM by MrBcx »