Author Topic: Building websites quickly as a desktop application!!!!  (Read 319 times)

Saleh

• View Profile
Building websites quickly as a desktop application!!!!
« on: May 11, 2021, 01:47:48 PM »
I have a big plan for this in my mind, but I started the main framework in VB6 to work faster, but i have port it to BCX at the first opportunity.
Imagine this thrill motivation! Create web forms and pages in the classic VB form Designer quickly, use controls event and their properties likes as a desktop applications! Compile the project into a single one executable that do not lay on any extra library or even activex such as dhtml and transfer it to the server as a CGI app to serve servicese.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COvSPC7nVsz/

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 02:07:01 PM by Saleh »

MrBcx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Building websites quickly as a desktop application!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 02:40:35 PM »
Hi Saleh ... you might already have some competition:

https://www.cybelesoft.com/thinfinity/virtualui/visual-basic-6/

Regarding your project, will your "executable" files require a Windows server or will it also run on Linux servers?
Windows web hosting plans tend to be more expensive and configuring them to run binary executable
files is not always easy and sometimes not even allowed.

Before I retired, I did a lot of web development on Windows Servers running SSRS, AD, Exchange, Dynamics,
and SharePoint.  Most of my work was in classic ASP and binary CGI's compiled with BCX.  I am quite interested
in your project and will be paying attention to your progress. 

Good Luck!

Saleh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 12:38:12 AM »
Hi Saleh ... you might already have some competition:

https://www.cybelesoft.com/thinfinity/virtualui/visual-basic-6/

Regarding your project, will your "executable" files require a Windows server or will it also run on Linux servers?
Windows web hosting plans tend to be more expensive and configuring them to run binary executable

Before I retired, I did a lot of web development on Windows Servers running SSRS, AD, Exchange, Dynamics,
and SharePoint.  Most of my work was in classic ASP and binary CGI's compiled with BCX.  I am quite interested
in your project and will be paying attention to your progress. 

Good Luck!

Thank you kevin,
The cybelesoft project that you mentioned at above, in fact is a heavy platform and looks like a remote executable service! but in my work all things it maybe a small 56kb binary exe such as a classic cgi exe files.
It is a big weak that this work be bounded to windows servers, so i wana to port it to bcx when done! And i will be leave 'linux porting works' to BCX friends.

Saleh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 12:50:41 AM »

This project can compile as an activex dll that directly accessed from .net website projects, it is not only bounded as cgi executables.

AND A FUN FACT ABOUT THAT: We can write a modern website entirely with an old laptop that only has 1.33mh cpu and 32mb of ram!  :D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 02:48:15 AM by Saleh »

MrBcx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 09:08:59 PM »

We can write a modern website entirely with an old laptop
that only has 1.33mh cpu and 32mb of ram! :D

That sounds like a form of punishment, if you ask me.   :D

rexxitall

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 12:12:35 PM »
Might be a idea to have a look at Spiderbasic. That uses a VBA "near" syntax which is later on transpiled to JS and executed by some browser webserver Wrapper or native in the browser.
The other way around i have build and tested as well some years ago. But there will be nothing with just 50kb. First you have to read out and export all the settings which a form and its gadget uses. Belive me they have a lot of settings. This you has to store in some dataformat, jason or whatever. So you create some specialized resource file. THEN you need something to show the form and all its gadgets again and fill with with life (Events) in the browser. You will need some sort of Javascript Framework to do that. Stupidly you are not done, all your functions need now to be transpiled to javascript. So there is nearly nothing you can do with BCX on this. Sure you can write a web server which instances VBS as scripting language, serving you javascript and whatever with BCX. Or maybe you are way more clever and use node.js for it, which is ready to use. But as MrBCX said - there are some competitors already out there. Some of them free of charge. You may also have a look to the long forgotten and underrated HTA thing from Microsoft too. To use web technologies for User Interfaces is not a bad idea at all. But it comes along with extra complexity HTML,JS,CSS... - and in any case a full blown Webbrowser which eats 200 Megs RAM on start. So using BCX would only make sense if you has a massive amount of constantly changing Text/Data with millions of users. So you want to write some sort of CGI Tool for your web server. For most cases this here would do the job also https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com - or any scripting / interpreter language :)

MrBcx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 12:58:47 PM »
Hi Thomas,

It is probably best not to underestimate Saleh's creativity or technical ability.
He built and released Visual Esp 15 years ago.  I do not know what new
super-powers Saleh has acquired since then but I feel certain he is cooking
up something good.   8)

https://bcxbasiccoders.com/archives/YahooGroups/Visual_Esp/

rexxitall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 03:42:57 PM »
That i did not :) - BTW there was also no Hero Badge *grin*.
But i did exactly (and more) what he proposed. I know what its cost to automatically "(ex)port" VBA/VB6 Forms into a web Application. And what is the price to pay to keep the data in the browser with the main app in sync.
Background for my attempt was that you can have a native Chrome Window as a ACAD Panel. (You can also drive ACAD by Javascript.) I was mad by Microsofts hobby to fiddle and disable GUI things as a "fix". So i port my VBA Forms to a Web App (Its dynamically - i can exactly do what he want to do. Design a VBA Form and by magic the new version goes at runtime into the web interface. Its completely automatic and database driven). It uses Websocks to communicate with ACAD. On the image you can see a "slightly" overloaded VBA form and its also "slightly"overloaded WEB surrogate. (And a Bridge Wall and some Kind of LOGO like Interpreter written as VBS CGI (was derived from its VBA counterpart) which i use to create dynamic polylines shapes.) In the back a Apache is running. An because i am some kind of child which likes to play -i could not resist to give the web interface also a complete window management. (I can rearrange all things like in visual studio). Its not a fancy demo. I use it for my work.
So in fact, i guess i did exactly that thing he wants to do (And it was not done during my lunch break) *laugh*

MrBcx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 04:09:13 PM »
Impressive ... it looks quite powerful and complex.

I'll bet it required 2 or 3 lunch breaks to build it.   ;D

rexxitall

• View Profile
Bets
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 05:19:33 PM »
Some kind of "one year later" lunch break :)
But now it its very open minded. To add BCX as a new environment would take a day or two.
Then it would have all the features you has in your BED.

Saleh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2021, 05:15:04 AM »
Hi,
An interesting video, from just a corner of the work done.

https://ufile.io/5duq0839

Vb6 forms turns into html page in a pure cgi application that entirely writen in classic vb. Rate your website speed and quality and code security by this framework.
Visual Basic 6.0, CGI GUI Framework For Web Applications! Pure VB6 Code, NOT BASED ON DHTML or Any Other Technology. ONLY HTML, CSS, JS.

While many thinks that the classical Visual Basic 6 has reached the end of the line, I am working on a framework to turn vb6 as a modern website builder! To the same speed and easily that was making desktop programs with it before.
Note that this is just a standalone CGI project that has no affiliation with any frameworks or other technology, not even ActiveX, is completely native to VB6 and runs on all Windows platforms.
It is a work in progress...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 05:38:10 AM by Saleh »

MrBcx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2021, 10:09:21 AM »
Hi Saleh,

I watched your video and paid attention to the capabilities you have so far achieved, such as saving
the text file to the server from a browser app, UTF8 conversion, and all the rest.  Impressive!
VB6 fans would probably be quite interested with your work.

Saleh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2021, 03:31:51 PM »
Hi Saleh,

I watched your video and paid attention to the capabilities you have so far achieved, such as saving
the text file to the server from a browser app, UTF8 conversion, and all the rest.  Impressive!
VB6 fans would probably be quite interested with your work.

You have been my best teacher and encourager, thank you very much kevin.