Author Topic: Windows 64bit scripting control  (Read 96 times)

rexxitall

• View Profile
Windows 64bit scripting control
« on: June 07, 2021, 04:18:38 AM »
I saw that it is stated that Windoes 64 bit does not have a 64bit scripting control. That is not true . It is true that MS does not ship it. But you can get a drop in replacement from Github: https://github.com/tablacus/TablacusScriptControl. I use it now for years even with picky software like Autocad 64 bit. I saw also that in there was a automatic switch which will be activated if someones uses the script control. So it will be switched to32 bit. In this case you will have a bug. I suggest to show a warning or a hint that in 64 bit the TSC is needed or generate a conditional define to be able to activate the 64bit control. :) And by this control you can really add  nice VBS or Javascript (and some other COM Object) scripting by a real interpreter to your application. Could be nice for games as a example. You get also your hands on all COM activated DLLs and applications the easy way :)

MrBcx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 64bit scripting control
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 01:09:32 PM »
Hello Thomas and welcome to the forum.

( I found your profile on github ... https://github.com/rexxitall )

Thanks for the information about the tablacus 64-bit control. 
Actually, I shared that link a little more than a year ago in the following post:

https://bcxbasiccoders.com/smf/index.php?topic=154.msg664#msg664

I'm a former land surveyor and was managing a team of CAD technicians until my 2014 retirement.
Way back in the 1980's, I worked about 3 years for a bridge building company.  I climbed around
more elevated girders than I like to remember.   ( I have a natural fear of heights ). 

BCX forum member Ian Casey is also involved in surveying, engineering, and programming
with BCX, so hopefully you will find something useful here.   Again ... welcome aboard!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 08:09:39 AM by MrBcx »

rexxitall

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 06:53:36 AM »
Hello, my first name is Thomas btw but :D. Well civil engineering is not made for the week :). Thanks god i have no fear for heights :) I just comes by cause i have a need to convert "some" VBA routines to a compiled DLL. For ACAD of course in fine 64bit. When windows and acad are loaded you can do practically only draw dog homes ;)  At the moment some guys in FB try to make the creation of COM DLLs a bit more comfortable but do not look in the resulting code. So i am thinking that it might be faster to convert () to [] then parsing and creating trillions of defines. :/. I like the idea to be able to embed C code in BCX. - If you can not kill your enemy hug him :) So as fast i can find some time, i will give that a try. 64bit debugging is also a pain in the ass in FB.  So i will look also into that. A lot of time gets into debugging. Especially cause most of the code is written and just need more speed or needs to break out the VBA single threading model.  Stupidly i am not yet retired and have to do still engineering tasks. Girders climbing as well sometimes ;) I do railway bridges meanwhile. The picture in the profile was taken in Finland i worked there on the reactor building of the Ol3 power plant :) 65 Metres in height :D They has have a nice scaffolding inside where you could look nearly til the basement which i have had to use to get there where the action is :) Perfect match for you i guess. Thanks for the nice Words. Thomas

MrBcx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 08:09:01 AM »
Hi Thomas,

I got a lot of use from being able to mix (32-bit)  COM code with many of the other non-COM functions of BCX when I was still working.  I created, updated, and queried networked databases, utilized various DLL-based GPS translations, created numerous data parsers, and even created and populated web-based apps.  BCX makes a lot of things easier once you get proficient with it.

This forum is a small group but we try to help one another when we can. 

If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask for help.

rexxitall

• View Profile
And i definitely will try it. But in 64 bit. Autocad do
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 10:33:53 AM »
Yes mixing and connecting applications and libs via com or native gives a engineer a VERY powerful sledge hammer. I use it like you has done and additional i do some tricks with 3d modeling and reinforcement or steel. SQLITE is a great handy thing to store the "mess" your colleagues try to enrich my life. We have some different surveyors to work with by our customers. Our in house surveyor i have meanwhile "how to say" trained *smile*. He know what i need - but from the rest you get what they think what a engineer might need. In some sort and taste of quality. Usually a day is wasted until i get it in a usable data structure *sigh*.  And that is just half the way. You need to have a 3d surface model from it ... THEN i can start MY work :D But nice that some of the civil guys are here as well. The way of thinking between a so called "developer" and a engineer is quite different - at least in my opinion. So i will try to get a 64 COM dll work, but in 64bit. Fastest way to close Autocad is to irritate it with a 32bit whatever thing.  My need is to write COM server dlls which also can perform callbacks. Mabe i can utilize also the native Autocad C API with BCX - which would be a dream. Sometimes i have to use .NET cause there is no COM API... I am born mid of last century, you may imagine how much i "like" .Net ;) Takes longer to read the doc (if existing) and figure something out as just write it from scratch.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 01:56:23 PM by MrBcx »

MrBcx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: And i definitely will try it. But in 64 bit. Autocad do
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 01:55:18 PM »
Yes mixing and connecting applications and libs via com or native gives a engineer a VERY powerful sledge hammer. I use it like you has done and additional i do some tricks with 3d modeling and reinforcement or steel. SQLITE is a great handy thing to store the "mess" your colleagues try to enrich my life. We have some different surveyors to work with by our customers. Our in house surveyor i have meanwhile "how to say" trained *smile*. He know what i need - but from the rest you get what they think what a engineer might need. In some sort and taste of quality. Usually a day is wasted until i get it in a usable data structure *sigh*.  And that is just half the way. You need to have a 3d surface model from it ... THEN i can start MY work :D But nice that some of the civil guys are here as well. The way of thinking between a so called "developer" and a engineer is quite different - at least in my opinion. So i will try to get a 64 COM dll work, but in 64bit. Fastest way to close Autocad is to irritate it with a 32bit whatever thing.My need is to write COM server dlls which also can perform callbacks. Maybe i can utilize also the native Autocad C API with BCX - which would be a dream. Sometimes i have to use .NET cause there is no COM API... I am born mid of last century, you may imagine how much i "like" .Net ;) Takes longer to read the doc (if existing) and figure something out as just write it from scratch.

rexxitall

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 08:12:01 PM »
Exactly,

the classic ones :)