Author Topic: Vintage System Support?  (Read 205 times)

mr_unreliable

• View Profile
Vintage System Support?
« on: November 15, 2021, 11:44:56 AM »
hi Group,

I am aware that support for win98 ended with BCX v6.9.9.

But how about win2K and winXP.?  win2K runs well on my old P3.  winXP was really designed for a P4, but will run acceptably well on a P3 which is has been sped up with an SSD.

So, are win2K and winXP still supported by current versions of  BCX?  And it not, when did it end?

cheers, mru

MrBcx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage System Support?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 04:03:27 PM »

So, are win2K and winXP still supported by current versions of  BCX?  And it not, when did it end?

Hi MRU ... I just noticed your post has gone unanswered for almost a month.

I don't have W2k or XP to test but my hunch is that the current version of BCX and any compiler
capable of producing a 32-bit executable can still produce apps that run on those old operating
systems.  The big caveat is that not everything will translate / compile correctly -- what specifically
will fail can only be determined by testing.

Robert

• View Profile
Re: Vintage System Support?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 12:34:10 AM »
I built BCX 7.7.9 as 32 bit XP with Visual Studio 140 Tools (2015 ?) and it ran as expected on Windows XP Mode (Virtual) on Windows 7 hardware.

I didn't have a C compiler installed on the Virtual XP so that was the extent of that experiment.

On the 64 bit Windows 7 hardware, I tried to compile a simple 7.7.9 generated Hello.cpp on VS2005 and it didn't like the

#include <stdbool.h>    // ISO StdLib

and

#include <inttypes.h>   // ISO StdLib

headers but with those commented out Hello compiled and ran as expected.